Blogs > Visas

Tier 2 Dependent Visa

  • January 07, 2019

When you have been offered your first NHS post, you may want your family members (dependants) to come with you. If you are applying from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland then your family members who are coming with you must apply for a Tier 2 dependency visa.  

Who is classified as my dependent?

The UK Visa and Immigration department state that a ‘dependent’ is any of the following:

  • Your husband, wife or partner
  • Your child under the age of 18
  • Your child over the age of 18 if they are currently in the UK as a dependant

Evidence of funds

When applying for a Tier 2 Dependent Visa, your dependents must evidence that they can be financially supported whilst they are in the UK.

Each dependant must evidence that they have £630 available to them (in addition to the £945 you must have to support yourself).

When making the application, they must be able to evidence that these funds have been available for at least 90 days prior to the application being made.

Please note, you will not have to evidence funds if your hospital offers you and your family “maintenance”. For further information on maintenance, visit our blog post on the subject.

What is the process of applying for a Tier 2 Dependent Visa?

To apply for a dependent visa, you can do so online.

After the application has been accepted by the Visa and Immigration office all dependents will need to book an appointment at the local visa application centre to get their fingerprints and photograph taken to receive their biometric residence permit. Their biometric residence permit must be collected within 30 days after they have arrived in the UK.

Please click here to find your nearest visa application centre.

Can my dependents work whilst they are on a Tier 2 Dependent Visa?

Yes – dependent visa holders can work freely in the UK, but they are not allowed to work as a doctor in training (they must apply for their own Tier 2 visa in this case).


Tier 2 Dependent Visa– £464

Health Surcharge – £400 per year of your visa (This is due to increase to £610 from 2020)

Please click here to calculate how much surcharge will need to be paid

Thank you for reading

If you have any questions or you are an IMG looking to relocate to the UK and join the NHS, please email your CV to [email protected] and one of our Specialist Advisers will be in touch.

Join our Facebook Group IMG Advisor! Here, you will have access to frequent relocation blog posts, the opportunity to ask questions and receive professional advice and the chance to meet other IMGs.


GOV.UK. (2019). General work visa (Tier 2). [online] Available at: [Accessed 8 Jan. 2019].


Get Email Job Alerts

Get email alerts tailored to just the jobs you're interested in.


Register With Us

Help us match you with jobs that are perfect for you.


Send Us Your Resumé

Upload it from your computer or via your phone from your cloud storage.

error: Content is protected !!