Blogs > Visas

How to get a Tier 2 Visa Extension

  • May 07, 2019

How to get a Tier 2 Extension

To extend your stay in the UK under a Tier 2 visa, you will need your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) which should have been issued to you by the HR Department. Once your new Tier 2 CoS has been issued, you must apply for an extension of your leave to remain (which is essentially your visa application).

Please note, you will have three months after the date the CoS was issued to use it, or before your existing visa expires – whichever is sooner.

As you already possess all the required documentation for your first Tier 2 visa, the process will feel fairly straight-forward and simple.

Click here to apply for a Tier 2 visa extension.

What documents do I need to apply for a Tier 2 visa extension?

  • Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)
  • Current visa or leave to remain/your Biometric Residence
  • National Insurance Number
  • Passport information

Do I need to provide any other evidence?

  • A licensed sponsor who will employ you in the UK
  • To provide that you have enough money to pay for your stay in the UK (Over £945 in the bank for over three months, more information on this can be found here)

Will I need to evidence my English language skills again?

No, after you have passed IELTS UKVI or obtained UKNARIC – you will NOT need to resit the exam or apply for UKNARIC again.

Will I incur any additional fees?

Biometric Information

As part of your Tier 2 visa application, you must provide your information – either your fingerprints or a photograph.  If you chose a standard or priority service, you will be required to pay an additional fee of £19.20 per applicant when you have your biometrics taken. However, if you choose the premium service you will have your biometrics taken at your appointment at no extra cost.

Healthcare Surcharge

Please click here to calculate how much your Surcharge will cost.

What about my dependents?

You must include any dependents who are on your current Tier 2 visa on your application to extend. This includes any children who have turned 18 during your time in the UK. However, they will also need to submit a separate application.

How long can I stay in the UK for?

You can apply to extend your visa for up to another 5 years, if your total stay is not more than 6 years.

Securing an NHS Post

If you are an international doctor who needs help securing an NHS post, email your CV to [email protected] and one of our Specialist Advisors will be in touch.

Join our Facebook Community

Are you a member of IMG Advisor? We post regular relocation blog posts, you can ask questions and receive professional guidance and the chance to meet other IMGs!


GOV.UK. (2019). General work visa (Tier 2). ] Available at: [Accessed 7 May 2019].


Get Email Job Alerts

Get email alerts tailored to just the jobs you're interested in.


Register With Us

Help us match you with jobs that are perfect for you.


Send Us Your Resumé

Upload it from your computer or via your phone from your cloud storage.

error: Content is protected !!