Blogs > Visas / Relocation

I have signed my NHS offer letter, what do I do next?

  • June 13, 2019

After you have signed your NHS offer letter, you will need to organise and collate a number of documents, to allow the hospital to apply for your CoS and in turn, you can then go ahead and apply for your Tier 2 visa.

What documents do I need to send to the hospital before they can apply for my CoS?

  • References – A minimum of two references is expected. Most NHS hospitals will ask for your references contact details and they will then contact them on your behalf requesting the reference. Alternatively, if the NHS hospital asks you, personally, to provide the references, ask your Consultant to provide you with one on your hospital’s letter headed paper, or normal paper with a hospital stamp and the reference should confirm your employment and dates of employment. However, each NHS Trust is different, so confirm what the HR department needs from you.
  • Proof of Address – A minimum of two different proof of address’ is needed. Examples include a bank statement or a utility bill. The letter should clearly state your full name, address and it should be dated within the last three months. Please note, this address must be the same that will be used for your CoS application and your Tier 2 visa application.
  • A Certificate of Good Standing for each medical council you have been registered with over the last 5 years
  • A copy of your passport
  • Your Police Clearance Certificate - You’ll need a certificate from any country you’ve stayed in for a total of 12 months or more over the last 10 years. Please note, this is also needed for any Tier 2 dependents over the age of 18
  • Evidence of your GMC Registration stage - If you have attended your ID check, you will need to provide the NHS Trust evidence of your license to practice. If you are waiting to attend your ID check, you will need to provide the Trust with the email evidence of your invitation.
  • IELTS UKVI or UKNARIC certificate

After you have collated the above documents, your NHS Trust can now apply for your CoS. Please note, your CoS MAY come back in a matter of days, as doctors and nurses on Tier 2 visas can now be applied for as unrestricted. However, this is dependent on the HR department successfully making the application.

My CoS has been issued, what do I do now?

Once your CoS has been correctly issued, with all the information printed correctly – you now apply for your Tier 2 visa!

What documents do I need to apply for my Tier 2 visa?

  • A valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) – you have three months from the date it is issued to apply for your Tier 2 visa
  • Tuberculosis Test Clearance Certificate, if your country is listed here
  • Police Clearance Certificate - You’ll need a certificate from any country you’ve stayed in for a total of 12 months or more over the last 10 years. Please note, this is also needed for any Tier 2 dependents over the age of 18
  • Proof of English Knowledge – This can be evidened via a valid OET, IELTS Academic, IELTS Academic UKVI or a UKNARIC certificate
  • Maintenance – If your hospital has not ticked “Y” on the Maintenance box on your CoS, you will need to evidence that you have £945 in your account for the last 90 days prior to your application, Please note, your dependents will also need £630 in their personal account for the same period of time

I have submitted my online Tier 2 visa application, what do I do next?

When you submit your documents, you will be asked to select a date to attend your local biometrics appointment. Please take all of the above documentation with you to be verified. At the appointment, your fingerprints will be taken along with your passport which will then be returned in the post.

Once your passport has been returned back to you, it will contain your travel vignette which will state the valid dates you can travel on.

I have arrived in the UK, what do I do?

After you have organised your accommodation (temporary or permanent), you will need to do the following:

  • Attend your GMC ID check, if necessary
  • Collect your BRP from your local post office
  • Attend the police station within 7 days of arriving in the UK
  • Attend your occupational health appointment (this must be cleared before you can start your NHS post)
  • Attend your ID check with your hospital’s HR department
  • Set up a UK bank account
  • Attend your induction/shadowing period

Isla, BDI Resourcing’s Relocation Executive’s top tips to ensure a successful relocation:

  • Organise your documents from as early as possible. For example, it is important to bear in mind that your Police Clearance Certificate will take longer to obtain than other documents, so, try and get the process started as early as possible
  • Respond to the hospital’s requests from as early as possible
  • Research your new UK location, it is important to familiarise yourself with your new UK home. This can include local schools, activities, nice areas to live and transportation!

Relocation to the UK

If you are an international doctor who needs support securing your first NHS post, email your CV to [email protected] and we would love to support you on your journey to the UK.

IMG Advisor

Are you a member of our Facebook Group, IMG Advisor? joining, you will have access to frequent relocation blog posts, the opportunity to ask questions and receive professional support and the chance to meet other IMGs.


Get Email Job Alerts

Get email alerts tailored to just the jobs you're interested in.


Register With Us

Help us match you with jobs that are perfect for you.


Send Us Your Resumé

Upload it from your computer or via your phone from your cloud storage.

error: Content is protected !!