Blogs > GMC Registration

What evidence do I need for my application to the GMC?

  • June 06, 2022

As an international doctor who is preparing to relocate to the UK, it is important to organise and collate your documentation for both your GMC Registration and your Skilled Worker Visa application as early as possible. This will prevent any unnecessary delays. In this post, we provide you with an overview of the documentation you need to apply for GMC Registration with a licence to practise.

1. An acceptable primary medical qualification

If your primary medical qualification was obtained outside of the UK or EEA, the GMC will need to make sure they have deemed it as acceptable. To find out if your qualification is accepted, it will need to be listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools.

After you have made sure your qualification is accepted, you will then need to have it independently verified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)

2. Certificates of Good Standing

The GMC will ask for your Certificate of Good Standing from each medical regulatory authority you have been registered or licensed with for the last five years.

They will also ask you to provide details of your postgraduate medical experience, non-medical experience and extra-curricular activities. They may ask for your employer references to confirm your non-medical work.

Click here to find out further information on how to evidence your fitness to practise.

3. Knowledge and Skills

You will also need to evidence that you have the necessary knowledge and skills necessary to practise medicine safely in the UK.

You can do one of four ways:

  1. Pass PLAB (you will also need to have evidence of an acceptable internship)
  2. Hold an acceptable postgraduate qualification
  3. Gain sponsorship by an approved sponsor
  4. Eligibility for entry onto the Specialist Register or the GP Register

4. Evidence of your English language skills

The GMC need to be satisfied that you can speak, write and listen in English before they can grant you with a licence to ensure patient’s safety are not at risk.

You can evidence your English language in one of the four ways:

  1. Your IELTS Certificate – You must have a minimum of 7 in each category and an overall score of 7.5
  2. Your OET Certificate – You must have a minimum grade B in each category
  3. Employed within an English-speaking country – If you have worked in an English-speaking country for the last two years, you can use this as evidence of your skills.

Please note, the English language certificate used for your GMC Registration can now be used for your Skilled Worker Visa application. If your certificate is no longer valid, you will need to sit IELTS UKVI (and obtain a score of 4 in all categories) or obtain a UKNARIC certificate. 

4. EPIC Verification

The GMC require you to verify both your primary medical qualification and your relevant postgraduate qualification if you are using it for GMC Registration. It is important for you to start the EPIC verification process as early as possible, as it can take up to 90 days to verify your documents.

Click here to set up an EPIC verification account.

Relocation to the UK

If you are an international doctor who needs support relocating to the UK and joining the NHS, email your CV to [email protected] and we can support you on your journey to the UK.

Join our Facebook Group

Are you a member of IMG Advisor? We publish regular blogs and vlogs to aid your relocation.

Subscribe to our YouTube channel

We publish a new vlog every single week from how to secure an NHS training post, understanding NHS salaries to finding accommodation in the UK.



Get Email Job Alerts

Get email alerts tailored to just the jobs you're interested in.


Register With Us

Help us match you with jobs that are perfect for you.


Send Us Your Resumé

Upload it from your computer or via your phone from your cloud storage.

error: Content is protected !!