Blogs > GMC Registration

Types of GMC Registration

  • October 06, 2021

To practise medicine in the UK you need to be registered with the General Medical Council (GMC). There are 4 different types of registration: provisional, full, specialist and GP. This Blog aims to briefly explore each type of registration so you can decide which one is right for you.

1. Provisional Registration

This is given to both UK and international doctors who have just graduated from medical school and do not have any internship experience. 

Provisional registration is also given to IMGs who gain GMC registration through the PLAB route and have postgraduate experience, but their experience does not meet the GMC requirements for an acceptable pattern of internship. 

The one and only job you can apply for with provisional registration is an approved Foundation Year 1 (FY1) training post as part of the UK Foundation Programme. You can read more about the UK Foundation Programme here.

2. Full registration

This type of registration is granted to doctors who have already completed their accepted internship. In the UK this is known as FY1. Overseas this may be referred to as a “house job”. Once you have your full registration with the GMC, you can begin applying for NHS jobs. This is also the point in which, BDI Resourcing can begin searching for suitable positions on behalf of yourself.

3. GP register

GPs in the UK are family and community medicine specialists with 5 years postgraduate training.
To be included on the GP register, doctors must complete the 2-year Foundation Programme (or equivalent) and the 3-year GP training programme in General Practice (or equivalent). In other countries, this is usually equivalent to Family Medicine training.
It is important to acknowledge that in the UK, new medical graduates or those that have completed internship with no further specialty training are NOT considered GPs in the UK like they are in some countries.
If you have been working as a general physician back home but have no postgraduate training, you will be applying for full registration and not GP registration.

4. Specialist registration

Most Doctors will aim to eventually get entrance onto the GMC’s Specialist Register in order for themselves to practice as a Consultant in the UK. Doctors on the specialist register are those that have completed UK postgraduate specialty training through a GMC-approved training programme (or equivalent – CESR/CESR CP).  

How Can We Help?

If you’re an international doctor looking to relocate to the UK, please email your CV to [email protected] and we can support you in securing an NHS post and on your journey to relocate to the UK.

Are you a member of our Facebook group? When you join IMG Advisor, you join a community of doctors all looking to relocate to the UK and join the NHS. We post a series of vlogs and blogs to the group every day. We will also be on hand to answer all of your relocation queries.

Subscribe to our YouTube channel! We have over 60 videos on everything you need to know about relocating to the UK and joining the NHS!

Listen to BDI Resourcing on the go to IMG Advisor the Podcast. You can find us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher and Buzzsprout. We have a number of episodes with tips and advice on relocating to the UK and the routes you can take to achieve this.


Get Email Job Alerts

Get email alerts tailored to just the jobs you're interested in.


Register With Us

Help us match you with jobs that are perfect for you.


Send Us Your Resumé

Upload it from your computer or via your phone from your cloud storage.

error: Content is protected !!