The UK’s National Health Service (NHS) is one of the largest employers in the world and the biggest in Europe, employing over 1.3 million staff.
For the NHS, a typical day includes:
The NHS offers a huge range of exciting and challenging opportunities for doctors who are passionate about making a difference. So, we wanted to share the top reasons on why it is amazing to work within the NHS.
1. You will make a difference to someone’s life every single day
Whether you are a Pediatrician treating children or a Surgeon carrying out life-saving operations, you are part of an amazing team that makes a huge difference to peoples’ lives every single day.
2. World renowned training
The NHS provides world-class training and support to their doctors to help them develop unique skills. You will learn things that you did not know you needed. The best thing about practicing medicine in the UK is that there is always more to learn, from new equipment to new procedures.
3. The opportunity for professional development
The NHS allows you to develop both professionally and personally. You will deal with high pressure situations that will enhance your medical knowledge and skills whilst overlapping into your personal life to make you into a better person.
4. Access to fantastic discounts
The list of companies you can receive discount from are, but are not limited to: Ray-Ban, Asics, Apple, Moss Bros, Paperchase, Sofology, Halfords, New Balance, Clarks, GHD, Hotpoint, Benefit, Flipflop, PureGym, Gymshark, Graze Snack Boxes, Leon, Nandos, Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Case Nero, TGI Friday’s, Ask Italian, Yo! Sushi, Zizzi, Thorpe Park, Jet2holidays, Travelodge, Virgin Holidays, The London Dungeons, Shrek’s Adventure London, BuyaGift Experience Days, Go Ape Adventure, Murder 57 Murder Mystery Breaks, Quad Nation Quad Biking.
Sign up for free today to start saving with Health Service Discounts.
5. An excellent Pension Scheme
Having one of the best pension schemes in the entire UK will help you secure a better future. When you retire, you will be entitled to a tax-free lump sum that can support you through the later years of your life.
Click here to find out more information on the NHS Pension Scheme.
Dr Naseer Khan’s Reasons for Living in the UK:
1. “A sense of satisfaction: the NHS is beautiful system that does not discriminate on the basis of your financial status. Healthcare in the UK does not only include treatment at the hospital, but it includes a completely physical and mental wellbeing at both home and work as well. It gives me immense satisfaction that I am part of this system.
2. Learning: The UK is open to all and because the UK has always been a centre of excellence in medicine, it is one of the best places in the world to learn and grow as a doctor.
3. The Working Hours: We only work an average of 40-48 hours per week. So, we get enough time for ourselves.
4. Money: Even as junior doctors, we earn enough to able to afford the latest cars and to buy a house in the UK. As a junior doctor, my earning in Pakistan was only 10% of my earning in the UK.”
Relocation to the UK
If you are an international doctor who has decided that the UK is for you, email your CV to [email protected] and we can support you in securing an NHS post and on your journey to the UK today.
Are you a member of our Facebook Group? When you join IMG Advisor, you will join a community of doctors all looking to relocate to the UK and join the NHS. We post a series of blogs and vlogs into the group every single day. We will also always be on hand to answer all your relocation queries.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel! We have over 35 videos on everything you need to know about relocating to the UK and joining the NHS!
Fullard, A. (2019). 5 Reasons Why It’s Awesome to Work in the NHS - Health Service Discounts. [online] Health Service Discounts. Available at: http://blog.healthservicediscounts.com/5-reasons-why-its-awesome-to-work-in-the-nhs/ [Accessed 9 Oct. 2019].