Blogs > Visas

Tier 2 Visa Application Process

  • October 06, 2020

This article on the Tier 2 Visa Application is broken down into the below sections to highlight the required documentation and to aid you through the application itself and what to expect after your application is accepted.

  1. Overview of Tier 2 Visa
  2. Documents for Tier 2 Visa
  3. Biometric Resident Permit
  4. Visa Fees


Overview of Tier 2 Visa

After you have accepted your first job in the UK, you will need to apply for a Tier 2 Visa (Health and Care Visa). A Tier 2 Visa is now the main immigration route into the UK for skilled workers being employed in the UK. First, to apply for this Visa, you must have a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS).

How long does the Visa last for?

A Tier 2 Visa can last up to a total of 5 years and 14 days or the time given on your Certificate of Sponsorship plus 1 month, whichever is shorter. When you come to the end of your Visa, you will have to renew it.

What documents do I need for my Visa Application?

Before you begin your online application, you should make sure that you have the below documentation.

Certificate of Sponsorship

You must have a valid CoS from your employer with a Tier 2 Sponsorship License. Your UK hospital should request this and if granted, assign your CoS via their online Sponsor Management System account. A certificate number will be provided on your CoS, which must be inputted when submitting your online Visa Application. The CoS should specifically mention that you are eligible for the Health and Care entry route for Tier 2.

Tuberculosis Test Clearance Certificate

You will need to have a tuberculosis (TB) test if you are coming to the UK for more than 6 months and you live in any of these listed countries.

You’ll be given a chest X-ray to test for TB. If the result of the x-ray is not clear you may also be asked to give a sputum sample (phlegm coughed up from your lungs).

If your test shows that you do not have TB, you’ll be given a certificate which is valid for 6 months from the date of your x-ray. Include this certificate with your UK visa application.

Police Clearing Certificate (Criminal Record Certificate)

You will need to provide a criminal record certificate if you work in education, healthcare, therapy and social services. You will need a certificate from any country you have stayed in for a total of 12 months or more over the last 10 years.

Proof of English Knowledge

You will need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply. You can do this by using the following qualifications:

  • OET

By meeting these requirements, you would have passed an English Language assessment which has been accepted by the relevant regulated profession body.

Details of Documents Required

When you apply for a Tier 2 Visa you will need to provide:

  • your certificate of sponsorship reference number
  • proof of your knowledge of English
  • a bank or building society statement or letter that shows you have enough personal savings (unless your certificate of sponsorship shows your sponsor can support you)
  • a current passport or travel document to prove you can travel - you need a blank page in your passport for your visa
  • expired passports or travel documents if you need them to show your travel history
  • your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a listed country
  • a criminal record certificate - if you’re working with vulnerable people

Letter of Maintenance (Optional)

You can ask your hospital trust in the UK to provide you with a letter of maintenance. This will confirm that they will take care of your expenses and accommodation before your first pay. However, often they will mention this is the CoS and so you will not need a separate letter of maintenance from the trust.

If your hospital is providing you with a maintenance, you must ensure that they are fully approved A-rated sponsor. Most hospitals are, but it is best to confirm this by checking the approved sponsor list here. If they are approved, you will not need to show your bank account details in your Visa Application, and you can list the hospital accommodation’s address.

What if my hospital is not providing maintenance?

If your hospital is not providing you with maintenance, then you will have to show through a bank statement that there is more than £945 before you Visa Application and that you will arrange your own accommodation.

Biometric Resident Permit

You’ll get a biometric residence permit (BRP) if you:

  • Apply to come to the UK for longer than 6 months
  • Extend your visa to longer than 6 months
  • Apply to settle in the UK
  • Transfer your visa to a new passport
  • Apply for certain Home Office travel documents

You do not have to apply separately for a BRP. You will receive one automatically if your visa or immigration application is approved, or you’re replacing an older document.

This is a document that you will collect in person from of UK Post Office before starting in your new position.

Visa Fees

A visa for up to 3 years costs £232.

A visa for more than 3 years costs £464.

The fee is the same whether you apply from inside or outside the UK.

Your dependents will also pay the same amount.

If you’re a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia a visa for up to 3 years costs £177 and a visa for more than 3 years costs £409.

For a video walkthrough of a Tier 2 Visa Application process please follow the link below:


GOV.UK. 2020. General Work Visa (Tier 2). [online] Available at: <> [Accessed 28 September 2020]

GOV.UK. 2020. General Work Visa (Tier 2). [online] Available at: <> [Accessed 28 September 2020]

GOV.UK. 2020. General Work Visa (Tier 2). [online] Available at: <> [Accessed 28 September 2020]


Get Email Job Alerts

Get email alerts tailored to just the jobs you're interested in.


Register With Us

Help us match you with jobs that are perfect for you.


Send Us Your Resumé

Upload it from your computer or via your phone from your cloud storage.

error: Content is protected !!