Blogs > Life in the UK

Useful points of contact for help in the UK

  • September 16, 2022

Every country will have their own norms when it comes to who to contact for specific instances. Here we run through some helpful lines of contact that you may need whilst here in the UK.

Medical assistance

If you are experiencing mild symptoms and would like assistance on what over the counter medicines to take you can visit a pharmacy and a pharmacist can assist you with minor conditions.

If you need advice or care from a GP then call your local practice and make an appointment. See how to register with a GP here.

If you have a medical issue and are unsure of what to do, call NHS 111 for assistance. The 111 helpline is there to guide you on how to get help with whatever medical condition you may be experiencing.

In more serious or life-threatening cases call 999 and ask for an ambulance.

Tax related issues or concerns

The term Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) refers to the tax authority of the U.K. government. The agency, also known as Her Majesty's Revenue Services, is responsible for collecting taxes, paying child benefits, enforcing tax and customs laws, and enforcing the payment of minimum wage by employers.

To speak to someone at HMRC, please use the following numbers:

  1. Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings helpline – 0300 200 3510. ...
  2. Capital Gains Tax helpline – 0300 200 3300 (textphone 0300 200 3319) ...
  3. Child benefits helpline – 0300 200 3100. ...
  4. Construction Industry Scheme helpline – 0300 200 3210

Workplace assistance

Talk to your line manager if you have any concerns within your workplace, or someone else if you'd prefer - for example, someone from the HR department. Arrange a meeting with them so you won't be disturbed. 

Union support

The BMA represents, supports and negotiates on behalf of all UK doctors and medical students. They are member-run and led, fighting for the best terms and conditions as well as lobbying and campaigning on the issues impacting the medical profession.

Members of the public can get in touch with the BMA by phone at 0300 123 1233

How can we help?

If you’re an international doctor looking to relocate to the UK please email your CV to [email protected] and we can support you in securing an NHS post and on your journey to relocate to the UK.

Are you a member of our Facebook group? When you join IMG Advisor, you join a community of doctors all looking to relocate to the UK and join the NHS. We post a series of vlogs and blogs to the group every day. We will also be on hand to answer all of your relocation queries.

Subscribe to our YouTube channel! We have over 100 videos on everything you need to know about relocating to the UK and joining the NHS!

Listen to BDI Resourcing on the go to IMG Advisor the Podcast. You can find us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher and Buzzsprout. We have a number of episodes with tips and advice on relocating to the UK and the routes you can take to achieve this.


Get Email Job Alerts

Get email alerts tailored to just the jobs you're interested in.


Register With Us

Help us match you with jobs that are perfect for you.


Send Us Your Resumé

Upload it from your computer or via your phone from your cloud storage.

error: Content is protected !!