Blogs > Postgraduate Qualifications

Waiting for the FRCR 2B exam

  • December 27, 2019

If you’re an international radiologist wanting to relocate to the UK and join the NHS, you’ll need GMC registration. In order to get this, you’ll need a postgraduate qualification recognised by the GMC. FRCR is the qualification that many international radiologists choose to take and it is split into three parts. Many international radiologists ask about the 2B so this article is dedicated to answering some FAQs!

How long will I be waiting?

Unfortunately, there isn’t a precise answer to this question. Candidates who are undergoing CCT specialist training, or who are working for the NHS in the UK are prioritised when applying for the examination. This means that an exact timeframe for international radiologists that are waiting for a seat cannot be exact. All overseas candidates who apply for 2B are put into a ballot and and they are given an application number on the rolling application list. This ‘rolling’ system was intended by the Royal College to give overseas doctors a better idea of when they will likely get a seat for an examination. A rough estimation (if you were to appear for all exams consecutively and pass them) is that full FRCR takes around 2 years to complete.

How does the rolling system work?

All international doctors who apply for 2B are given their number on the rolling list. If an examination comes up that for example has 99 places available, doctors who are numbered 1-99 on the rolling list are offered a place. If doctors 1-99 accept their place within a week, they secure their place. If they do not, doctor number 100 then 101 (etc.) are contacted until all available places are filled. Once all places are accepted then a payment for the exam is taken and the relevant paperwork is sent out. If all of the 99 places were filled by doctors 1-99, then the doctor who was number ‘100’ will ‘roll’ up the list to become doctor number ‘1’ for the next examination and the process continues.

What do I need to apply?

You must accompany your application with proof from your training supervisor that you have at least 34 months of clinical radiology training (and have passed 2A).

How much does it cost?

If you are a member of the Royal College, it costs £479. If you are not, it costs £564.

Where can I take the 2B exam?

Within the UK, there are test centres in London, Belfast, Birmingham, Stockport and Glasgow. Outside of the UK, there are test centres in Singapore and Hong Kong.

If you are an international radiologist looking to relocate to the UK, or have any further questions about the 2B exam, we’d love to hear from you! Please send your CV and/or questions to [email protected] and we will get back to you. 


Royal College of Radiologists, Final Examination for the Fellowship (Part B), (last accessed: 23/12/19)

Royal College of Radiologists, Final Examination for the Fellowship – Part B, Joint Examinations – Singapore and Hong Kong 2020, (last accessed: 23/12/19)

Royal College of Radiologists, Final Examination for Fellowship in Clinical Radiology (Part B), (last accessed: 23/12/19)


Get Email Job Alerts

Get email alerts tailored to just the jobs you're interested in.


Register With Us

Help us match you with jobs that are perfect for you.


Send Us Your Resumé

Upload it from your computer or via your phone from your cloud storage.

error: Content is protected !!