Blogs > Life in the UK

GP and Dentist registration in the UK

  • September 07, 2022

As a doctor on a Skilled Worker visa you will now be entitled to use NHS services. What does the National Health Service (NHS) cover?

  • Consultations with your GP / nurse.
  • Hospital treatment in Accident & Emergency (A&E)
  • Minor injuries treatment in clinics.
  • Treatment with a Specialist or Consultant if you have been referred by your GP.
  • Contraception and sexual health services.
  • Maternity services.

Who is entitled to free GP services?

A GP practise in England accepts registration from anyone. Registration is cost-free. You don't require identification, an NHS number, or confirmation of your address or immigration status. You might be able to sign up with a doctor's office outside the area where you now reside.

Learn about signing up with a GP office outside of your neighbourhood. GP offices are typically the first place you should go if you have a health issue. They offer health advice and can cure a variety of ailments. They can also suggest additional NHS services for you.

How to register with a GP

Find a GP who can meet your needs. More services are provided by some GP offices than by others. You can check up local doctor's offices to see what they provide and how they compare here.

Who is entitled to free NHS dental services?

You do not have to pay for NHS dental services if you are:

  • Under 18, or under 19 and in full-time education
  • Pregnant or have had a baby in the last 12 months
  • Being treated in an NHS hospital and your treatment is carried out by the hospital dentist
  • Receiving low-income benefits, or you’re 20 and a dependant of someone receiving low income benefits

One of the few NHS services where you have to contribute to the cost of your care is dental care. NHS Dentist charges are considerable lower than private practices. Depending on what you require, you should only be asked to pay one charge for each completed course of treatment, even if you need to visit your dentist more than once to finish it.

The UK does have many private dental practices that you will be able to directly approach to enquire about treatment.

How to register with an NHS dentist

The best way to register with a dentist is to simply find a dental surgery that’s convenient for you, whether it’s near your home or work, and phone them to see if there are any appointment available.

Alternatively put your postcode into this website to find a dentist near you:

How can we help?

If you’re an international doctor looking to relocate to the UK please email your CV to [email protected] and we can support you in securing an NHS post and on your journey to relocate to the UK.

Are you a member of our Facebook group? When you join IMG Advisor, you join a community of doctors all looking to relocate to the UK and join the NHS. We post a series of vlogs and blogs to the group every day. We will also be on hand to answer all of your relocation queries.

Subscribe to our YouTube channel! We have over 100 videos on everything you need to know about relocating to the UK and joining the NHS!

Listen to BDI Resourcing on the go to IMG Advisor the Podcast. You can find us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher and Buzzsprout. We have a number of episodes with tips and advice on relocating to the UK and the routes you can take to achieve this.


Get Email Job Alerts

Get email alerts tailored to just the jobs you're interested in.


Register With Us

Help us match you with jobs that are perfect for you.


Send Us Your Resumé

Upload it from your computer or via your phone from your cloud storage.

error: Content is protected !!